By: Shaykh Ḥabīb al-Kāẓimī
Part 3 of 3
What are the signs of acceptance?
There is no harm if the person [wishes] to inquire whether his worship has been accepted or not; [even] Abraham [p] asked God Almighty to show him how He revives the dead. God said: "Why? Do you not believe?" Abraham said: "Yes, but that my heart may be at rest." He [Abraham] asked for the sign of reviving, and the Lord of the Worlds wants us to ask for the sign of acceptance. The most important sign of acceptance is the reforming of conduct. The sign of he who cleanses himself is cleanliness and [beautiful] fragrance, while sins are malodorous. It has been narrated that the Commander of the Faithful said, "Fragrant yourselves with istighfār, and do not let the malodor of sins expose you." Thus, the sign of acceptance is ridding oneself from this malodor. He who [suffers from] anger should look at his anger after the elapse of the season. If he/she became calm and meek, then his worship [in this regard] has been accepted. He/she whose desire inclines towards that which is forbidden, then the sign for his acceptance is abstinence from it.
1) The soul, like the body, require alleviation from the weightiness of sins.
2) He/she who wishes to achieve an exceptional layat al-qadr should prepare for it from the months of Rajab and Sha'ban.
3) The individual must ask for grand rewards on the occasions of the infallibles' births from the beholders of the occasions.
4) We must acquire the state of forgiveness prior to the month of Ramadan so that we ascend from its initial nights to the pleasure of God.
5) The signs of acceptance of deeds is: (1) alteration of conduct, and (2) [gaining] tranquility of the soul/heart.
Translated by: ShiaTranslation