Following are some helpful pointers and a step higher in our journey to the Only Ultimate, the Only Beloved!
Certain things that are Mustahab in Sajdah - one of the positions dearest to Allah swt:
- It is Mustahab to say Takbir before going to Sajdah. A person who prays standing, will do so after having stood up from Ruku, and a person who prays sitting will do so after having sat properly.
- While going into Sajdah, a man should first place his hands on the ground, and woman should first place her knees on the ground.
- The person offering prayers should place his nose on a mohr, or on any other thing on which Sajdah is allowed.
- While performing Sajdah, fingers should be kept close to each other, parallel to the ears, with their tips towards Qibla.
- While in Sajdah one should pray to Allah, and express his wishes, and should recite this supplication: Ya Khayral Mas'ulin wa Ya Khayral Mu'tin, Urzuqni warzuq 'Ayali Min Fazlika Fa Innaka Zulfazlil 'Azim - O You Who are the best from whom people seek their needs, and O You, Who are the best bestower of gifts! Give me and the members of my family sustenance with Your grace. Undoubtedly You possess the greatest grace).
- After performing Sajdah, one should sit on his left thigh, placing the instep of the right foot on the sole of the left foot.
- After every Sajdah, when a person has sat down and his body is composed, one should say takbir.
- When his body is steady after the first Sajdah, he should say:"Astaghfirullaha Rabbi wa Atubu Ilayhi".
- He should say Allahu Akbar for going into second Sajdah, when his body is steady.
- It is Mustahab to prolong the Sajdah, and when sitting after the Sajdah, to place one's hands on the thighs.
- He should recite Salawat while in prostrations.
- At the time of rising, he should raise his hands from the ground, after raising his knees.
- Men should not make their elbows and stomach touch the ground; they should keep their arms separated from their sides. And women should place their elbows and stomachs on the ground, and should join their limbs with one another.
- It is Makrooh to recite the holy Qur'an in Sajdah. It is also Makrooh to blow off the dust from the place of Sajdah, and if, by so doing, one utters anything intentionally, the prayers will be, as a precaution, void. Besides these, there are other Makrooh acts, which are given in detailed books.
Fatawa of Ayatullah al Uzama Syed Ali al-Husaini Seestani
Islamic Laws : Obligatory acts relating to Namaz » The Mustahab and Makrooh things in Sajdah http://www.sistani.org/local.php?modules=nav&nid=2&bid=59&pid=2956